[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: GITMO Detainees Can Challenge Detention

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 20:26:53 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:45, Donovan Arnold
<donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> You are incorrect on ALL Counts of your last email:

Am I?  If I am wrong on ALL counts, then rebut all counts.  I concede
that I may be partially wrong on ONE count, but hardly ALL.

Importantly, I wrote that:

> So this isn't so much a matter of stripping the military of a right that it has historically
> had, but of restoring  legal rights to prisoners -- rights which were taken away with dubious
> justification, and during a time of public hysteria.

Note the word "historically."  History does predate the United States,
at least for the rest of the world.  Historically, enemy combatants
were members of the enemy armed forces.  Our Supreme Court redefined
the historical meaning in 1942, and in this I erred when I stated:

> This power wasn't granted until post-9/11.

I was thinking of the later expansions, such as the Military
Commissions Act of 2006.  I apologize for my mistake.

As you didn't address any of my other alleged errors, I can't respond further.

Chas