[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: GITMO Detainees Can Challenge Detention

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 22:07:20 PDT 2008

I realize the government is not trying to convict.  That is the problem
the Supreme Court corrected.

Many of these detainees were caught as part of a bounty program set up
by the US government.  Not the most trustworthy of operations, giving
money to people to finger terrorists.  How many of them are people that
screwed over the guy getting the bounty?  How many are just convenient?

Besides, we either follow the rule of law or we're living in a Mad Max
movie.  It's long been a cornerstone of our court system that it's
better to let a guilty person go free when you don't have enough
evidence to convict them than it is to wrongly convict an innocent person.

The really ironic thing here is that terrorists don't have the ability
to take over the US.  They can maybe swing another stunt like 9/11, but
what else can they do?  Well, apparently they can frighten us into
giving up our inalienable rights in order to fend off another tragedy.
We've done more harm in this conflict to ourselves than we have to the
enemy.  We've lost most of our international respect, we've chipped away
at the laws that ensure our freedom, and we've strengthened the
Executive Branch beyond reason.  We'll be living with that long after
the last detainee dies of old age.

If we really cared about taking out the terrorists, we would never have
gone into Iraq.  We'd have tracked down Osama, and anyone else that
turned up in the ensuing investigation.  We breed more terrorists every
day we're in Iraq.  With 600 detainees, some percentage of whom are
undoubtedly innocent people in the wrong place at the wrong time, to
show for it.

So let's gather the evidence, take them to trial, give them a chance to
refute the charges, and hang anyone we find guilty of committing acts of
terror against the US while letting the innocent go free.  It's the
right thing to do.  The question I'm interested in is this: do we count
fighting back at our invasion of Iraq as a "terrorist act"?

Paul