[Vision2020] GITMO Detainees Can Challenge Detention

Tom Hansen idahotom at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 12 20:46:47 PDT 2008

One of several similar press releases over the past few years . . . This press release from the Defense Department on May 2, 2008 . . .

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=11893

----------------------

Detainee Transfer Announced

            The Department of Defense announced today the transfer of nine detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Five detainees were transferred to Afghanistan, three to Sudan and one to Morocco. These detainees were determined to be eligible for transfer following a comprehensive series of review processes.

            The transfer is a demonstration of the United States’ desire not to hold detainees any longer than necessary. It also underscores the processes put in place to assess each individual and make a determination about their detention while hostilities are ongoing – an unprecedented step in the history of warfare.

            The Department of Defense has determined – through its comprehensive review processes - that approximately 65 detainees at Guantanamo are eligible for transfer or release. Departure of these detainees is subject to ongoing discussions between the United States and other nations.

            Since 2002, more than 500 detainees have departed Guantanamo for other countries including Albania, Afghanistan, Australia, Bangladesh, Bahrain, Belgium, Denmark, Egypt, France, Great Britain, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Libya, Maldives, Mauritania, Morocco, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Sudan, Tajikistan, Turkey, Uganda, United Kingdom and Yemen.

            There are approximately 270 detainees currently at Guantanamo.

----------------------

For further information concerning detainees, I suggest . . .

http://www.defenselink.mil/home/features/Detainee_Affairs/index.html

OK?

Tom "who still believes in the US Constitution" Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

From: sunilramalingam at hotmail.comTo: vision2020 at moscow.comDate: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:25:20 -0700Subject: Re: [Vision2020] GITMO Detainees Can Challenge Detention

Are you saying that we haven't held innocent people there?  Is that really what you mean?  I don't want to be mistaking what might be an attempt at humor for a factual assertion.Sunil

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:59:27 -0700From: donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.comTo: thansen at moscow.com; vision2020 at moscow.comSubject: Re: [Vision2020] GITMO Detainees Can Challenge Detention
Maybe we should create an "Adopt a Detainee" program. Those that think they are innocent detainees can line up and open their homes to people considered to be unfairly detained at Gitmo. If they really believe that these people are innocent, and they are released, it would be unfair to send them back to their home country to be killed, right?

So step on up, and adopt a poor innocent detainee and Gitmo, they need a helping hand and place to stay while they get adjusted to mainstream US society.

Best Regards,

Donovan