[Vision2020] Aboot?

Ralph Nielsen NIELSEN at uidaho.edu
Wed Jun 11 22:05:46 PDT 2008

The English do the same; of course, that's where the Bostonians got
it from.

One drops the final "r" but retains it before a subsequent vowel
sound, as in "The Green Monster and I". One also adds an "r" sound
when necessary, for the same purpose, as in "Scott Pedroyer and I."

(Who is he? some sports figure?)

Ralph

[Vision2020] Aboot?

Scott Dredge sdredge at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 17:37:03 PDT 2008

I'm fine with Canadian accents.  It's the Boston ones I don't quite
understand.  They'll say Derek Jet-ah and Green Monst-ah claiming
that they have trouble pronouncing 'er' at the end of names / words.
But then, they'll turn around and pronounce Dustin Pedroia as Dustin
Pedroyar and Dice-K Matsuzaka as Dice-K Matsuzakar.

-Scott