[Vision2020] Fw: CRAPO: THIS GLOBAL WARMING BILL DID NOT ADD UP

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 19:16:50 PDT 2008

After I just wrote:

  That an act was created to build highways in what was called the "The act was called the 1956 National Interstate and National Defense Highways Act, aka, Public Law 84-627. "

  Hansen ignorantly  writes in response:

  "Arnold.  Arnold.  Arnold.  Have you ever heard of the "Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956"?"

  YEAH, Hansen, is it also called the "National Interstate and Defense Highways Act of 1956", and Public Law 84627. If you knew what you were taking about, you would at minimum know this basic know fact.

  It used the term "Defense" because that was the excuse used to spend $26 billion of taxpayer dollars to support what people thought at the time, was to the benefit of automobile and the oil industry.

  "The Interstate Highway System was authorized by the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, popularly known as the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act of 1956. It had been lobbied for by major U.S. automobile manufacturers and championed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was influenced by his experiences in 1919 as a young soldier crossing the country (following the route of the Lincoln Highway) and his appreciation of the German autobahn network as a necessary component of a national defense system.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_System

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Tom Hansen <idahotom at hotmail.com> wrote:
      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {  FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    "Donovan Arnold" falsely claims:

"Automobile purchases slowed in the 1950s because of poor road conditions and congestion. So the US government spent $25 billion on the construction of major freeways and highways under the guise of it being part of the escape plan in case of an evacuation in nuclear attack."

Arnold.  Arnold.  Arnold.  Have you ever heard of the "Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956"?

>From the Federal Highway Administration, Department of Transportation website at:

http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/summer96/p96su10.htm

"By the late 1930s, the pressure for construction of transcontinental superhighways was building. It even reached the White House, where President Franklin D. Roosevelt repeatedly expressed interest in construction of a network of toll superhighways as a way of providing more jobs for people out of work."

Listen to President Eisenhower discuss what he called the interstate highway system back on October 27, 1958:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/oct271958a.mp3

"
And the point is: this is not a dream. It is not a visionary project for your consideration. Work is going on right now, and it will go on more rapidly and more effectively, as each month passes, until the job has been completed . . . ."

The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 was strongly endorsed by then-chairman of the Subcommittee on Roads in the Committee on Public Works Tennessee Senator Albert Gore Sr., who introduced his own bill extening Eisenhower's bill through Fiscal Year 1961 with an additional $10 billion.

So, you see, Arnold.  There is no presence, not even a suggestion, of fear mongering "in case of an evacuation in nuclear attack."  This program was designed to simply put people to work.

OK?

Tom-Tom Hannie (Tom Hansen)
Moscow, Idaho

"We're a town of about 23,000 with 10,000 college students. The college students are not very active in local elections (thank goodness!)."

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)