[Vision2020] Aboot?

Kai Eiselein, Editor editor at lataheagle.com
Wed Jun 11 09:46:36 PDT 2008

Ralph, would you pleeeease explain the use, or non-use rather, of "eh" to my Uncle Danny in Port Coquitlam, B.C.? He apparently missed that memo and says "eh" incessantly.
In my experience, with my family, "about" does have a slight "oo" sound to it, not much, but it is there. Perhaps it's a vestige of our Scots ancestry? We are McKenzies.
My step-grandfather, Cecil, was from Alberta and didn't use "eh" nor did he pronounce "ou" as "oo". But he could curse in French and make it sound like a sonnet :)

The following is a snippet from an article in the Campbell River Mirror, owned by Black Press Group, Ltd.:
"The walls were also filled with three huge memorial banners where mourners had written messages to Smith and his family in colourful ink."

Canada's a big place, it has it's own colloquialisms, ever tried to understand what a "Newfie"  was saying?