[Vision2020] Fw: CRAPO: THIS GLOBAL WARMING BILL DID NOT ADD UP

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Mon Jun 9 09:42:12 PDT 2008

-----Original message-----

From: "Crapo News Release (Crapo)" newsclips at crapo.senate.gov
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:42:07 -0700
Subject: CRAPO:  THIS GLOBAL WARMING BILL DID NOT ADD UP

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:    Susan Wheeler (202) 224-5150

June 6, 2008
Lindsay Nothern (208) 344-1108

CRAPO:  THIS GLOBAL WARMING BILL DID NOT ADD UP

Legislation fails to garner support to achieve final vote

Washington, DC - Idaho Senator Mike Crapo said today that the
Lieberman-Warner Climate Security Act was incomplete in its approach and
too expensive to garner the support it needed in the Senate.  Crapo,
along with many of his colleagues from both sides of the aisle, found
the legislation would raise energy costs too high for consumers.

"I don't believe that legislation which could raise energy prices by
almost 140% is what we need at a time when we are already paying record
prices for electric bills and at the pump," Crapo said.  Action on the
legislation was halted in a cloture vote, which is a procedural move to
end debate and bring the bill to a final vote.  Cloture actions require
60 votes to succeed.  The final vote on the bill was 48 to 36. Crapo
voted with 35 other Senators to continue debate on the legislation.

Crapo said the bill should have included more incentives for
clean-burning energy technology like nuclear power production.  He added
Idaho and neighboring states also did not receive appropriate
recognition for clean hydropower energy already produced in the
Northwest.  "Because 80% of our electricity is provided by non-emitting
hydropower and wind, Idaho citizens currently have one of the lowest
carbon footprints per capita in the country," he said.  "This bill fails
to recognize that fact and could severely impact the economy of our
state.  As we are one of the fastest-growing states, we need to ensure
that we continue to have access to affordable energy to meet the needs
of Idahoans."

Crapo noted the Kyoto Agreement on climate change was not ratified by
the Senate because it did not require all nations to abide by the same
rules.  He said some countries would have to do more than others to
reduce economic activities.

"Before the United States commits to any widescale reduction of carbon
emissions, it is critical to ensure that we have the technology to do so
in a way that will not hurt American families and industry," Crapo
added.  "A better idea is to refine this approach and keep working on
the issue and that is what the Senate today decided."

To directly link to this news release, please use the following address:

http://crapo.senate.gov/media/newsreleases/release_full.cfm?id=298884

# # #

This is generated from an unattended mailbox. If you have constituent
comments or information you would like forwarded to Senator Crapo,
please do so at the Senator's website, http://crapo.senate.gov
<http://crapo.senate.gov/> . Comments sent to this e-mail address will
not be responded to.