[Vision2020] For Our Time-Warner Cable Subscribers

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jun 8 07:21:53 PDT 2008

>From the Daily Breeze (Los Angeles, California) at:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_9492719?source=rss_viewed

L.A. sues Time Warner Cable over shoddy service
By Robert Jablon The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Time Warner Cable Inc. was accused Thursday of lying to Los
Angeles subscribers and providing shoddy customer service in a lawsuit
that seeks potentially tens of millions of dollars in fines against the
city's main provider of cable television.

"The company has broken multiple laws, and harmed countless Los Angeles
consumers," City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo said in a statement.

The 25-page court filing accuses Time Warner Cable and its parent, Time
Warner Inc., of fraudulent acts and business practices. It asks the
Superior Court to permanently bar the company from engaging in "unlawful,
unfair and fraudulent business acts and practices and deceptive
advertising."

The city also seeks $5,000 in penalties for each violation, which city
prosecutors contend may number in the thousands.

The city conservatively estimates the potential fines "in the tens of
millions" of dollars, city attorney spokesman Nick Velasquez said.

The suit covers the period from August 2006 to the spring of 2007, after
Time Warner acquired about a 95 percent share of the city's cable
television and cable Internet service. The company and Comcast Corp.
purchased bankrupt Adelphia Communications in 2006. Time Warner then
swapped cable systems with Comcast. The deals added 480,000 subscribers to
the 120,000 Time Warner already had and made it the dominant provider in
Southern California.

But the takeover also prompted a slew of complaints from customers who
claimed they got bad service or were billed for services they did not
receive.

Time Warner Cable disagrees that it "misled customers in any way,"
spokesman Alex Dudley said from New York. The company had startup service
problems, but they have eased, he added.

"Our initial customer services issues are well-documented and we have
worked incredibly hard to turn those around," he said. "We're now at the
point where we receive fewer customer service calls per month with our
nearly 2 million subscribers than we did before the transaction."

The suit contends Time Warner created ads and brochures guaranteeing that
customer prices would not be increased but instead removed some channels,
such as Animal Planet and Turner Classic Movies, from its basic
subscription package, effectively forcing subscribers to pay more if they
wanted to receive the same channels.

The company also billed subscribers for service "that was so intermittent
and inferior in quality that it was not much better than no service at
all," the suit claimed.

In addition, Time Warner violated city standards by keeping consumers
waiting hours for telephone help and even then some representatives
were "unknowledgeable and rude," the suit contended.

Time Warner also violated the city's 24-hour limit for repairing reported
problems, according to the suit, which claims technicians "consistently"
arrived late or failed to show at all.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)