[Vision2020] Summer Reading

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 20:48:41 PDT 2008

http://www.amazon.com/Straw-Dogs-Thoughts-Humans-Animals/dp/0374270937/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Book by British Philosopher John Grey, from the London School of Economics:
"Straw Dogs: Thoughts on Humans and Other Animals"
------------------
In a work of thoroughgoing iconoclasm, British philosopher Gray attacks the
belief that humans are different from and superior to animals. Invoking pure
Darwinism, he savages every perspective from which humans appear as anything
more than a genetic accident that has produced a highly destructive species
(*homo rapiens*)--a species that exterminates other species at a phenomenal
rate as our swelling numbers despoil the global environment. Gray explains
the human refusal to confront the darker realities of our nature largely as
the result of how we have consoled ourselves with the myths of Christianity
and its secular offspring, humanism and utopianism. Human vanity, he
complains, has even converted science (which should teach us of our
insignificant place in nature) into an ideology of progress. But neither
hope for progress nor confidence in human morality passes muster with Gray,
who envisions a future in which the human population finally contracts as a
world politics that grows ever more predatory and brutal shatters all such
illusions. As a work of ruthless rigor, this provocative book will force
readers to reexamine their own convictions.

*Bryce Christensen*