[Vision2020] The Patriot's Moral Code

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jun 3 06:43:28 PDT 2008

"The Patriot's Moral Code"
By Eric Liu and Nick Hanauer, from their pamphlet "The True Patriot" at:

http://www.truepat.org/read.php#0

WE ARE PATRIOTS. We believe in America's national ideals. We believe
America has an indisputable purpose in the world: to demonstrate, the
power of freedom and equal opportunity.

True patriots know that America was founded in freedom - to speak, to
worship, to choose whatever path to happiness suits us best - but with
freedom comes an equal responsibility to country, community and family.

True patriots believe what enables a free society to remain strong is a
set of traditional virtues and values: pragmatism tied to principle,
honesty and integrity, honesty and personal initiative, responsiblity and
self-discipline, fairness and compassion, competitive striving and fair
play, desire to serve the nation and a kinship with the world.

True patriots believe that freedom from responsiblity is selfishness,
freedom from sacrifice is cowardice, freedom from tolerance is prejudice,
freedom from stewardship is exploitation, and freedom from compassion is
cruelty.

True patriots know that we should measure our nation's progress by whether
every citizen has a fair shot to advance on the basis of talent and merit,
and by the degree to which we promote the common success of all our
citizens. Freedom without an equal chance to enjoy it is no freedom at
all.

True patriots believe it is immoral when inequality of opportunity leads
to and perpetuates inequality itself. On a truly level playing field, some
will do much better than others because we are not all equally talented or
motivated. But when the tilt of the field keeps even the talented from
ever winning, that is unfair and un-American.

True patriots believe we should measure a citizen's worth by contribution
to country and community, not by wealth or power - that those whom America
has benefited most should contribute in proportion to their good fortune -
and that serving others should be esteemed more highly than serving self.

These were the ideals of the founders of our country and the defenders of
our union. They have made America unique and necessary from the beginning.
And now it is time for them to inspire a new generation of Americans.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)