[Vision2020] Economist Rankings of the World's Greatest

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jun 3 05:32:14 PDT 2008

Hint to to Arnie:  Ralph is NOT against food banks.  He appreciates their
availability.  He simply does not appreciate their necessity.  A nation,
and government, so affluent and technologically advanced as the Nifty
Fifty (USA) should be able to provide to ALL of its citizens.

> Ralph,
>
>   "And here in the USA, apparently the richest country in the world, we
> have to operate food banks to feed the poor. Shame on us."
>

>   I am not understanding you. Why are you against Food Banks?
>
>   Best Regards,
>
>   Donovan
>
> Ralph Nielsen <nielsen at uidaho.edu> wrote:
>
> And here in the USA, apparently the richest country in the world, we
> have to operate food banks to feed the poor. Shame on us.
>
> Ralph
>

> [Vision2020] Economist Rankings of the World's Greatest Challenges
>
> Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
> Mon Jun 2 09:44:06 PDT 2008
>
> >Visionaires:
>
> Economists recently met in Denmark and ranked the world's greatest
> challenges.
> Malnutrition and health problems dominated the top ratings.
>
> Tom Trail
>
> >How to save the world: the verdicts are in from the experts and our
> readers
> >article4033472.ece>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/
> article4033472.ece
> >From Times Online
> >May 30, 2008
> >

> >article4033272.ece>Spending
> >£30 billion
> >
> >Economists battle it out to rank possible
> >solutions for the great challenges in global
> >stability and security
> >
> >Copenhagen Consensus: the panel's verdict
> >
> >1 Micronutrient supplements for children (vitamin A and zinc)
> Malnutrition
> >2 The Doha development agenda Trade
> >3 Micronutrient fortification (iron and salt iodization) Malnutrition
> >4 Expanded immunization coverage for children Diseases
> >5 Biofortification Malnutrition
> >6 Deworming and other nutrition programs at school Malnutrition &
> Education
> >7 Lowering the price of schooling Education
> >8 Increase and improve girls' schooling Women
> >9 Community-based nutrition promotion Malnutrition
> >10 Provide support for women's reproductive role Women
> >11 Heart attack acute management Diseases
> >12 Malaria prevention and treatment Diseases
> >13 Tuberculosis case finding and treatment Diseases
> >14 R&D in low-carbon energy technologies Global Warming
> >15 Bio-sand filters for household water treatment Water
> >16 Rural water supply Water
> >17 Conditional cash transfers Education
> >18 Peace-keeping in post-conflict situations Conflicts
> >19 HIV combination prevention Diseases
> >20 Total sanitation campaign Water
> >21 Improving surgical capacity at district hospital level Diseases
> >22 Microfinance Women
> >23 Improved stove intervention Air Pollution
> >24 Large, multipurpose dam in Africa Water
> >25 Inspection and maintenance of diesel vehicles Air Pollution
> >26 Low sulfur diesel for urban road vehicles Air Pollution
> >27 Diesel vehicle particulate control technology Air Pollution
> >28 Tobacco tax Diseases
> >29 R&D and mitigation Global Warming
> [...]

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)