[Vision2020] Economist Rankings of the World's Greatest Challenges

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 19:53:58 PDT 2008

Ralph,

  "And here in the USA, apparently the richest country in the world, we
have to operate food banks to feed the poor. Shame on us."

  I am not understanding you. Why are you against Food Banks?

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Ralph Nielsen <nielsen at uidaho.edu> wrote:

And here in the USA, apparently the richest country in the world, we
have to operate food banks to feed the poor. Shame on us.

Ralph

[Vision2020] Economist Rankings of the World's Greatest Challenges

Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Mon Jun 2 09:44:06 PDT 2008

>Visionaires:

Economists recently met in Denmark and ranked the world's greatest
challenges.
Malnutrition and health problems dominated the top ratings.

Tom Trail

>How to save the world: the verdicts are in from the experts and our
readers
>article4033472.ece>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/
article4033472.ece
>From Times Online
>May 30, 2008
>

>article4033272.ece>Spending
>£30 billion
>
>Economists battle it out to rank possible
>solutions for the great challenges in global
>stability and security
>
>Copenhagen Consensus: the panel's verdict
>
>1 Micronutrient supplements for children (vitamin A and zinc)
Malnutrition
>2 The Doha development agenda Trade
>3 Micronutrient fortification (iron and salt iodization) Malnutrition
>4 Expanded immunization coverage for children Diseases
>5 Biofortification Malnutrition
>6 Deworming and other nutrition programs at school Malnutrition &
Education
>7 Lowering the price of schooling Education
>8 Increase and improve girls' schooling Women
>9 Community-based nutrition promotion Malnutrition
>10 Provide support for women's reproductive role Women
>11 Heart attack acute management Diseases
>12 Malaria prevention and treatment Diseases
>13 Tuberculosis case finding and treatment Diseases
>14 R&D in low-carbon energy technologies Global Warming
>15 Bio-sand filters for household water treatment Water
>16 Rural water supply Water
>17 Conditional cash transfers Education
>18 Peace-keeping in post-conflict situations Conflicts
>19 HIV combination prevention Diseases
>20 Total sanitation campaign Water
>21 Improving surgical capacity at district hospital level Diseases
>22 Microfinance Women
>23 Improved stove intervention Air Pollution
>24 Large, multipurpose dam in Africa Water
>25 Inspection and maintenance of diesel vehicles Air Pollution
>26 Low sulfur diesel for urban road vehicles Air Pollution
>27 Diesel vehicle particulate control technology Air Pollution
>28 Tobacco tax Diseases
>29 R&D and mitigation Global Warming
>30 Mitigation only Global Warming

List services made available by First Step Internet,