[Vision2020] Divine Intervention Sought in Gas Prices

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jun 1 06:57:20 PDT 2008

>From today's (June 1, 2008) Spokesman Review -

Group pits prayer power against rising gas prices
Jonathan Mummolo
Washington Post
June 1, 2008

WASHINGTON – The price of regular at a Shell gas station in Washington,
D.C.'s Petworth neighborhood gleamed defiantly in the midday sun: $3.91 a
gallon.

But unlike the customers rolling up to the station's pumps last week,
resigned to the fact that their wallets were about to take a beating,
Rocky Twyman and company had a plan to bring that number tumbling down.

They would ask God to do it.

"Our pockets are empty, but we're going to hold on to God!" Twyman, a
community organizer from Rockville, Md., said as he and seven other people
formed a semicircle, held hands and sang, pleading for divine intervention
to lower fuel prices.

It was the latest demonstration by Twyman's movement, Pray at the Pump,
which began in April. Since then, he has held group prayers at gas
stations as far away as San Francisco, garnering international media
attention and even claiming success in at least a couple of cases.

Some would say the proof of whether Twyman has the ear of the Almighty is
in the result. On the first day of the movement, April 23, the national
average price of a gallon of unleaded was $3.53, according to AAA. As of
Friday, it was $3.96.

But Twyman said true faith does not demand instant gratification, and he
plans to keep his pump-side prayers going "until God tells us to stop."

"This whole thing is a wake-up call from God to Americans, because we
idolize men so much," said Twyman, 59, a public relations consultant and
Seventh-day Adventist who believes that high gas prices are a sign of the
apocalypse drawing nigh. "I think through this crisis, God is trying to
call us back to depend on Him more."

For the past several weeks, Twyman has assembled a group at a soup kitchen
in the Petworth neighborhood of Northwest Washington where he volunteers.

They have driven to a gas station, locked hands, said a prayer, purchased
gas and sung the civil rights anthem "We Shall Overcome," with an added
verse: "We'll have lower gas prices."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
MOscow, Idaho

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)