[Vision2020] Moscow one of nine best places to live

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 31 11:17:35 PDT 2008

             9 Great Places You’ve Never Heard Of: Moscow, Idaho         By David Wann         Moscow,
Idaho, enjoys its nickname of “Heart of the Arts.” The Moscow Artwalk,
for example, is one of the many cultural activities that make Moscow a
vibrant community. This self-guided tour displays the work of dozens of
local artists in more than 30 participating businesses, and galleries
such as the University of Idaho-run Prichard Art Gallery on Main
Street. Moscow also is a hub for theater and music, including the
annual five-day Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival, plus a steady flow of
rock bands and folk musicians.Nestled in northwest Idaho between
Moscow Mountain (about 5,000 feet) and the undulating hills of the
Palouse region, the town also is home base to farmers who grow lentils,
barley and canola oil. The Moscow Area Mountain Bike Association has
many avid members, and a growing population of environmentally active
Moscow citizens work on stream restoration and nature-awareness
projects.Tom Lamar, executive director of the Palouse-Clearwater
Environmental Institute, has seen what volunteering can do for local
pride.“People of all ages come out to help restore nature and
pretty soon they get interested in how they fit into the regional
ecosystem,” he says. “For example, Paradise Creek, which originates on
Moscow Mountain and runs through Moscow, was ranked by the state as
having poor water quality; people just thought of it as a drainage
ditch. But when we remove the non-native plant species, plant trees and
clean up the garbage, it motivates people. They begin to realize
they’re living along a stream that’s part of a watershed. Then they
start to say, ‘Let’s put a bikepath along the stream, and a park, and a
…’”Moscow, IdahoPopulation: 22,300Median House Price: $182,800Climate: Moderate four seasons. January average: 29 degrees; July average: 63 degrees.Natural Assets:
Elevation: 2,583 feet; great trail system — 46 miles of paved pathways,
including the “rails-to-trails” Bill Chipman trail that connects Moscow
with Pullman, Wash.Sustainability Initiatives: Restoration of prairie lands and native species; urban tree planting; strong commitment to the urban bus system.Check out the other towns on our 2009 list of Great Places You’ve Never Heard Of.