[Vision2020] FW: The Nation, 6/30/08

Levi Cavener lcavener at vandals.uidaho.edu
Wed Jul 30 09:10:24 PDT 2008

"My premise is that most of those who were "haves" before the distribution

> would manage to accumulate wealth, becoming "haves" again.

> Of those who were "have nots" before the distribution, most would become

> "have nots" again."

But think about the reason why the previously wealthy would once
again
become wealthy.  Before the redistribution the wealthy could afford
whatever tools they needed (including tools for their children) such as
access to better schools (I'm not dismissing the public school system,
just saying that an elite private school is likely to produce a better
education than the public system could), access to higher and
continuing education for both themselves and their children, as well as
previous on the job experience and knowledge for jobs that pay more
such as experience in being a CEO of a company.  Compare this in
contrast to the previous "have-nots" who hypothetically just had
wealth redistributed.  Upon the redistribution they have no tools or
background experience to advance from aside from working a low level
job in the service industry.  Even if they were to pursue the
tools they need to get a job that pays more than the job they previous
had by such means as getting an education or internships they already
start at a disadvantage because the previously wealthy already possess
all these tools.  As a result the previous "have-nots" have to play
catchup with the previously wealthy - they are the tortoise in the race
of wealth and can only win if the wealthy (hares) make a mistake that
allows them to catch up or pass them.  Assuming this hypothetical
wealth redistribution did occur, who would you expect to become wealthy
again?  A CEO of a fortune 500 company or a person who has been
flipping burgers?  Just a thought.

~Esto Perpetua

Levi Cavener