[Vision2020] The Nation, 6/30/08

Tom Hansen idahotom at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 29 13:55:15 PDT 2008

Kai stated and inquired:

"How many people have received a huge windfall, think movie stars or pro athletes as examples, then died flat broke and deep in debt?
Comprende?"

I will agree with you, Kai, to the extent that many (too many to count) professional athletes and movie stars have found themselves virtually destitute within a few short years of their instant wealth.

However, a vast majority (almost all) of those professional athletes (and move stars for that matter) who signed lucrative contracts (signing bonuses in the millions) were either fresh out of college or supported by others.  they were not independent.

Had these individuals learned responsibility and (as my father calls it) "the value of a buck", outcomes would have been alot different for most of them.

The only exception to this rule (in my opinion) is Paris Hilton who has never learned responsibility and will probably never need to.

So, you see, Kai . . . It's a matter of living and learning.  Those who fail to learn, because the silver spoon was handed to them right out of college, possess a high probability of failure in the long run.

Those who have lived a few years and learned responsibility and, perhaps victims of the cards falling the wrong way, become a member of the "have nots", understand the value of responsibility.

Enough said.

Verstehen sie?