[Vision2020] Politicized Hiring

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jul 28 17:55:07 PDT 2008

>From the "Investigation of Allegations of Politicized Hiring by Monica
Goodling and Other Staff in the Office of the Attorney General" just
released today, attached, and at:

http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/special/s0807/final.pdf

"After Goodling resigned, Williamson typed from memory the list of
questions Goodling asked as a guide for future interviews. Among other
questions, the list included the following:

'Tell us about your political philosophy. There are different
groups of conservatives, by way of example: Social
Conservative, Fiscal Conservative, Law & Order Republican.

What is it about George W. Bush that makes you want to
serve him?

Aside from the President, give us an example of someone
currently or recently in public service who you admire.'

We found that this last question often took the form of asking the
candidate to identify his or her most admired President, Supreme Court
Justice, or legislator. Some candidates were asked to identify a person
for all three categories. Williamson told us that sometimes Goodling
asked candidates: “Why are you a Republican?”

Things that make you go "Hmmm."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)