[Vision2020] Secret Tax Deals Legal, says Wasden

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jul 17 05:36:54 PDT 2008

>From today's (July 17, 2008) Spokesman Review -

Secret tax deals legal, says Wasden

Attorney General's 12-page response
http://tinyurl.com/AGResponse
(and attached)

BOISE – Idaho's attorney general has concluded there was nothing illegal
about secret tax deals struck by the state Tax Commission with large
multistate corporations to excuse them from paying part of their Idaho
taxes.

Key lawmakers greeted Attorney General Lawrence Wasden's legal opinion
with relief, but said they now need to examine whether Idaho's laws should
be changed.

"We need to look at things we can do better – policies and procedures,
transparency and accountability and all those things," said Idaho Senate
Tax Chairman Brent Hill, R-Rexburg. "It's not a matter now of pointing
blame."

The deals were revealed in a whistleblower's report submitted by a
longtime state tax auditor, Stan Howland, who complained to the governor
and the Legislature that the secret deals are so frequent that
corporations routinely protest their taxes to get their "Idaho tax break."

The attorney general's 12-page review, by Steven L. Olsen, chief of the
civil litigation division, examined only whether state law had been
violated. It found that tax commissioners are empowered by law to settle
tax cases, as they did in those cited by Howland. "Further, the
confidentiality of the settlements is mandated by statute," Olsen wrote in
the opinion.

Sen. Kate Kelly, D-Boise, who along with Hill requested the attorney
general's review, said the opinion focused on "a very narrow question,
which is, 'Did anything illegal happen?' I think it's helpful," she
said. "But it of course leaves begging the question of whether or not the
law underlying the actions that took place is the appropriate law."

Kelly, an attorney, said she's particularly concerned about the level of
confidentiality involved in the deals.

Howland's report suggested the settlements were illegal because taxpayers
weren't required to pay all of what they owed.

"As a matter of law, the commission's discretion in regard to settlements
is less constrained than Mr. Howland's complaint suggests," Olsen wrote.

Pending is a review by an independent auditor appointed by Gov. Butch
Otter to review the Tax Commission's actions and the whistleblower's
allegations.

In addition, Idaho's Legislative Services Office is gathering information
for all legislators on how the commission's practices compare to other
states'. That report will be complete by mid-August, Hill said.

Seeya at Farmers' Market, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)

           http://www.fsr.com/