[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Magistrate Interviews

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 11:37:59 PDT 2008

I did not say there is no need for a Public Defender in our legal system,
and you know that was not my point.  The best possible defense is a right
that should be given to anyone.  My question in general, and not necessarily
with respect to any past, current, or future case in Latah county, is what
constitutes a "good defense"?  Without pointing fingers at anyone, it seems
as if our legal system stirs the pot with the hope that somehow, somewhere,
someway, an insignificant technicality will free a guilty individual.

In an ideal world, one would hope that legal strategies would be weighed
with respect to their ability of providing a positive outcome on a case.
Particularly when we, the public, are paying for it.  On the surface,
removal of a judge "without having to give reason" strikes me as a last
ditch effort to postpone an inevitable conclusion.  It is unfortunate that,
in some situations, taxpayers have to pay the cost of seemingly pointless
legal maneuvers.  And again, unfortunately in our litigious society,
attorneys have to do everything possible, no matter how slim the chance of a
positive outcome, to prevent being sued for malpractice.  It's just the old
"yeah I may be guilty but you gotta try to get me off no matter what"
approach of which many people are tired.

Actually, I'm glad you have chosen to represent "poor people."  I have no
qualm with that.  I have no qualm with all or part of your salary being
provided by the taxpayers.  I only wish our legal system would provide for
(and again, no reflection whatsoever on you as an attorney) a "good"
representation, devoid of throwing every possible defense theory on the wall
and hoping something will stick.

GS