[Vision2020] Avista Source: Re: Was "Energy saving..." 41% Of Avista Power Is Fossil Fueled

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 01:21:56 PDT 2008

I found the direct Avista data for the breakdown of their energy sources for
electricity, at least for 2006.

Coal is listed as a higher percentage of total power generation, 25%, and
natural gas less, 16%, than the other source I just listed in the previous
post in this thread.  Maybe the discrepancy is due to regional differences
in Avista's energy mix.  Fossil fuels generate 41% of Avista electricity as
shown below, close to the 43% from the previous source.  What Moscow
receives as a percentage of these various sources I am not sure, but it is
clear that fossil fuels are a main source of Avista electrical power
generation:

http://www.avistautilities.com/questions/pages/default.aspx?category=Buck-A-Block

>From URL above:

Avista produces electricity using a number of different resources. In 2006,
Avista generated or contracted to purchase for resale 5.83 million megawatt
hours for our Northwest customers.

Our owned or contracted resources come primarily from four categories of
fuel: biomass, coal, hydro, and natural gas.
Avista's fuel mix is as follows:

Hydro – 52 percent
Natural Gas – 16 percent
Coal – 25 percent
Biomass/Waste – 6 percent
Other – 1 percent

Avista does not own or operate any nuclear or waste generation facilities.
We do however, purchase energy made within the Pacific Northwest, which
includes some nuclear and waste generation.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett