[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Simple Song of Freedom

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 21:42:23 PDT 2008

I wouldn't read anything into this survey. I could respond either way depending on what they mean by newspapers being able to print whatever they want without government censorship.

I don't want on the one hand, the government editing things like the British did to the American colonies before the Revolutionary War approving every article before printed. However, I don't think newspapers should be allowed to print information that could hinder the national security of the country, hurt innocent people, or things that are false and damage a person's reputation.

Remember your History, in the 1800s, newspapers were run by special interests, and would print all sorts of horrible, untrue things about people that would result in them getting harmed or killed. Blacks, Chinese, the Irish, Jews, Mexicans, and other groups were always hindered by newspapers printing without responsibility or ethics. Even President Jackson wife's was so bashed by the Whig's Party newspapers that the social stress resulted in her death. There are limits on what a newspaper can say where it harms innocent people.

Newspapers have a social and ethical responsibility in what they report. People believe, and even act on what they read in the paper as though it is factual and they have all the information they need. How many times has media made a mistake that destroyed someones life? Too many to count--I'm sure.

Best Regards,

Donovan