[Vision2020] A loss for Idaho

Tom Hansen idahotom at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 7 20:21:59 PDT 2008

Warren -

Although I do not know, nor have known, William Studebaker, I found a couple of his poems to be entertaining and enlightening.

----------------------------

"Signals"
by William Studebaker

A second without pain is eternity,and so is the kiss between lipsof an open wound, and when you discover there is no forward and when the engines of silence sit idle,pain will not be deaf, but speaksthe language of the deaf –its hands screaming words for wounds:hatred, bullets, indifference, gas. There will be onemonoxide moment when you can almost read the dark smoke of poetry gathering the tribes.

"Peach"
by William Studebaker

Everyday I shave my beardand dump the ashes on the ground where I'd be buried if that werethe death of me.
I take off where a woman puts a face on. I'm smooth and round beneath a hand.
I press my cheek to yours, offering a peach—ripeand sunshine warm, not a box or a bushel or enough to can, but freshfor your lips to pick.----------------------------

Also, listen to William Studebaker read one of his poems at:

http://www.idahoptv.org/productions/salmonriver/poetry.html

Thank you, Warren, for bringing this to our attention.