[Vision2020] Most Honorable Discharge

Tom Hansen idahotom at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 15:34:48 PST 2008

>From the Army Times at:

http://www.ArmyTimes.com

Most Honorable discharge

Although our military needs Sgt. Darren Manzella’s talents (and those of the 65,000 other gay service members currently serving), the Army must deal with the outdated, ill-fated compromise that Congress made law, going on 15 years ago [“Sergeant comes out — but is allowed to stay in,” Jan. 21]. “Don’t ask, don’t tell” requires deception to serve honorably.

Imbued with the ideals of “duty, honor, country” during my nine years at West Point (as cadet, staff and faculty), I firmly believe that trust is the foundation of unit cohesion, and any law which mandates equivocation, half-truths and outright lies is repugnant to American values. I fervently pray that our military finds a way to retain Sgt. Manzella, because it’s clear that his chain of command needs him.

But if they must fire him, I hope they create a new category called “Most Honorable Discharge.” For his service, openness and honesty, Sgt. Manzella deserves nothing less. And our country needs a lot more like him.

Col. Stewart Bornhoft
Bonita, Calif.

The case of Sgt. Darren Manzella reminds me of a story I heard many years ago about a famous general who once contemplated purging all gays and lesbians from his medical services department.

He was advised against doing this because precious few doctors, nurses and technicians might be left standing at the end of the day to provide health care.

So, he relented. This general reflected the culture and prejudices of his time, but he wasn’t reckless enough to jeopardize the health of his command needlessly. Is there a lesson in this story for us today?

Sgt. Darren Manzella and his young comrades in arms represent our “Will and Grace” generation. They understand that the differences among us are no big deal.

It’s time for older Americans, especially those serving at the Pentagon and in Congress, to start demonstrating the same high level of maturity on gay issues that their children’s generation has already attained.

Congress should repeal the foolish, outdated, wasteful, costly and vindictive “don’t ask, don’t tell” statute promptly, with or without the Pentagon’s support.

Col. E. A. Leonard
Lexington, Va.