[Vision2020] How Could Anyone Support That Woman?

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Tue Jan 29 14:46:33 PST 2008

J:

You are on the money with the Aleutians.  One of the largest ground
battles in the Pacific theater was fought on Attu Island in 1943.  The
Japanese took Attu and nearby Kiska on June 7, 1942 and occupied the
island until we retook it in 1943.  Check out
http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/e-resources/ebooks/records/efd2929.ht
ml for facts about the battle.

Alaska is the frontlines for defense of North America.  Elmendorf now
hosts the newest fighters the F-22, while Eielson hosts aerial tankers
and other support activities.  Fort Wainwright and Fort Richardson host
nearly 14,000 soldiers, and Fort Greely has most of the continent's ABM
system.  Just down the road in Anderson, the military has its huge radar
complex while just north of Fairbanks, a very large array of satellite
dishes monitor the world.

Those of you who gripe about Ted Steven's earmarks must remember that
groups like the Sunlight Foundation or Taxpayers for Common Sense
"count" the military apportionment against Alaska's totals; if you
subtract out all military spending earmark totals for Alaska become
rather mundane.  For example the FY08 budget has nearly $200,000,000 in
projects for just Fort Wainwright.  That works out to over $300/Alaskan
for a new rail-yard, hanger, barracks and officer housing on one Army
post.

In line with government abuses, the forced relocation of thousands of
Aleuts during WWII by the USA ranks up there with other atrocities
committed by our government against the native peoples.

Chris.