[Vision2020] 935 False Statements Made Before War

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 21:41:34 PST 2008

keely et. al.

The truth can hurt, so maybe there is some "harm," when the medicine of
facts is a disquieting treatment.

We tried to head off the impending disasters of the Bush administration,
with the J20 Coalition efforts in Seattle on Jan. 20, 2001, to protest the
Bush administration, on Bush's inauguration day.  Around 5000 protested in
Seattle, taking over downtown streets from sidewalk to sidewalk, in a
protest/activism event that was an all day community effort, with a stage
set up for speeches, theater and music, from many organizations.

I put up flyers in the Moscow/Pullman and Spokane areas to advertise this
event, and attended.  I expected protest related problems, and was prepared
to be arrested.  But amazingly, the police who monitored the event were
rather low key, and the city cooperated with the protest in allowing city
streets to be closed to traffic.  Still, I expected someone to throw a rock
through a window, or attack someone, after which all hell can break
loose, after which the peaceful can get caught up in the ensuing crackdown.
But nothing like this happened.

One inspiring moment was when we linked arms surrounding the entire Seattle
Federal building, a large urban structure, chanting various activist
slogans.  Cameras were firing left and right, some from the press, or for
private use, but certainly some from the FBI.

I look back on this event, and feel an sense of futility.  What good did it
do?  The nation was so caught up in the emotion of events after 9/11 that
reason, fact and compassion took a back seat to propaganda, revenge and
fear.

Here's a press release on the J20 Coalition event held in Seattle on Jan.
20, 2001:

THOUSANDS EXPECTED AT SEATTLE INAUGURATION DAY
PROTESTS ON JANUARY 20TH

The King County Labor Council(membership 130,000) and
the MLK Celebration March Committee have endorsed
demonstrations in Seattle on January 20th to coincide
with national protests against the inauguration of
George W. Bush as U.S. President.

A group called the "January 20th Coalition" has called
for endorsements from labor unions, civil rights
groups, environmental groups, faith organizations and
women's groups.

The protests will begin on January 19th with a
candlelight vigil for those citizens whose votes were
not counted. This event will start at 5 PM at the
Courthouse at 5th and Madison in downtown Seattle.

On January 20th a demonstration is planned for
Westlake Center at 1 PM. Following this event, a march
"March For Democracy" will move to the Federal
Building at 3 PM.

In the evening, a forum will be held at the Labor
Temple (1st and Clay) with music and speakers
addressing the election results and complaints of
civil rights violations in Florida and other states.
Speakers will include King County Council member Larry
Gossett, KIRO radio talkshow host Mike Webb, and
attorneys from the American Civil Liberties Union.