[Vision2020] MSD Can Collect Levy Money

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 25 15:16:44 PST 2008

For those of yoiu who do not wish to read the following detailed article
concerning Judge Bradbury's decision, I have encapsulated everything into
a 2-minute, 23-second video at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeIBz3l1B5U

>From today's (January 25, 2008) Moscow-Pullman Daily News -

----------------------

School district receives $1.97 million increase passed by voters in March,
doesn't have to pay Weitz's legal fees

By Hadley Rush, Daily News staff writer

Friday, January 25, 2008 - Page Updated at 12:00:00 AM

Second District Court Judge John Bradbury ruled Thursday that the Moscow
School District can collect tax money generated from its March 2007
supplemental levy election.

Bradbury also ruled that the school district doesn't have to pay legal
fees incurred by Moscow dentist Weitz, who filed a lawsuit against the
school district in May. Weitz argued that the supplemental levy increase
amount was invalid because the total amount certified wasn't included on
the ballots.

Bradbury previously ruled in favor of the district in four of five
allegations made in the lawsuit, but said the way the election ballot was
framed did not meet the legal standard, and needed to be reworded so the
levy amount was specifically requested so "voters will know what the
consequence of their vote is."

Bradbury deferred his written ruling at an October hearing and gave the
district six weeks to correct the language on its 2007 supplemental levy
ballot - to include both the increase ($1.97 million) and the total amount
($7.6 million) certified - and re-run the election.

The Moscow School Board reran the election Nov. 13, and 57.7 percent of
voters supported the increase.

Meanwhile, the Idaho State Tax Commission billed MSD patrons for the $1.97
million increase to the district's indefinite supplemental levy that
passed in March, but it was unclear until Thursday when - or if - the
district would see any of the money after Bradbury declared the March
election "null and void" in his initial written judgement, filed in
November.

The taxes collected for the school district's March levy election were
withheld from the district by the Latah County Treasurer's Office subject
to Bradbury's final ruling.

"This is a case of first impression," Bradbury wrote. "The statutory
scheme is complex. The school district did what it thought was right. Dr.
Weitz provided a valuable service of clarifying a statute much in need of
clarity.

"Given the novelty of the issues and the mixed result for both parties, I
conclude neither party prevailed."

Moscow School District Superintendent Candis Donicht said the district is
happy with the judge's final decision.

"Of course the district is pleased with the ruling," Donicht said. "I
admit I had to read the document several times to fully comprehend the
issues that the judge went over in his discussion."

Donicht said it's important to remember that this was a complex legal case
because there are few legal guidelines regarding what to do in an
indefinite supplemental levy lawsuit.

"We didn't have good language to identify how one goes about doing an
increase to an indefinite supplemental levy," she said.

Donicht said it's unfortunate the Moscow School District had to be
involved in one of the first lawsuits regarding indefinite supplemental
levies, but that it was a problem waiting to occur.

"It was bound to happen somewhere, sometime, and it happened here,"
Donicht said.

Neither Weitz or his attorney, Brian Thie, returned calls seeking comment
before press time.

Latah County Treasurer Connie Jain Ferguson said the district received a
check for its tax money this morning.

"They got their taxes today, because by law Jan. 25 is the apportionment
date," she said. "We had collected the money ... we were just waiting for
the judge to rule. This is such an unusual case."

Ferguson said her department feels relieved after being at a legal
standstill for so long.

"It's a very nice thing to have taken care of. We're grateful," she
said. "We hope it turned out well for people. We just needed to know what
the law was going to tell us to do. The school now has that money to keep
their operations flowing."

Donicht said it's important to note that there were no winners or losers
in the suit.

"No one prevailed. We got (what) we need to provide the services we need,"
she said. "This case has been so complicated that I didn't know what to
expect.

"The judge has been sensitive to the fact that this issue has divided a
community, and (he) stated a number of times in this case that both sides
were well-meaning and good supporters of public education."

Donicht said she still believes the lawsuit was a necessity to reach a
resolution, and the district hopes it can maintain a congenial
relationship with Weitz.

"We needed a court ruling in order to validate what we believed (to be)
right was right, and as it turned out we needed correct ballot language to
properly do so," she said.

Donicht said Bradbury ruled with compassion and looked beyond
technicalities.

"The judge has clearly looked at both sides of this issue," she
said. "It's always unfortunate when we have to get answers through a
lawsuit. Now it's over and we can move forward."

Seeya round town, Moscow.