[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for January 25, 2008

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 25 05:54:52 PST 2008

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for January 25, 2008

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
January 25, 2008

Dear Friends,

It was just last month that I reported important developments in our quest
to renovate and expand the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center, as we had received
our Regents' approval to move forward on aspects of the formal
engineering, planning and design work. This week at events in Moscow and
Boise, we officially embarked on our much-anticipated fundraising campaign
to achieve this goal, and I invite you to become advocates for, and
supporters of, the work.

The Kibbie Dome is an icon. It dominates the campus landscape, and its
multi-use capabilities make it central to so many of the academic,
athletic, cultural and social events that comprise the University of
Idaho's leading educational experience. But after 33 years of continuous
service, the Dome needs our help in order to serve the University's
programs - and our students, employees, alumni and the public - in the way
they all deserve, for generations to come.

There are two distinct phases to the project. The first, now underway,
calls for upgrading life-safety features and will be financed by $17
million in University funds. Improvements include a smoke exhaust system;
expansion of the fire sprinkler and fire alarm systems; enhanced exiting;
improvements to the air handling and electrical distribution systems as
well as the restrooms; and replacement of the structure's two wood-frame
end walls with translucent fiberglass panels.

The second phase - and the reason for this aspect of our fundraising
campaign - relies on $35 million in private gifts. Phase Two will upgrade
and expand seating options, lower the
Dome floor, improve line-of-sight to the floor, create loge boxes and
suites, enhance natural lighting, renovate concourse areas, modernize
media services and create a permanent athletic Hall of Fame.

Our goal is to ensure that the environment of the Dome evokes the
professionalism, quality and vitality associated with the University of
Idaho and its leading people and programs.  These actions will improve the
structure to become a more inviting, welcoming and accommodating venue for
the Lionel Hampton International Jazz Festival; commencements; football,
basketball and other intercollegiate athletic events; as well as concerts
and community events. You can learn more about the project and giving
opportunities at:

www.uidaho.edu/kibbie.

Twenty-four of our students and four advisers traveled to Peru as
volunteers in an Alternative Service Break project over winter break.
Their adventure exemplifies the leading people and programs to which I
often refer. In the small village of Cai Cay, the group lived in tents and
helped build a youth center to expand educational opportunities for
children in the area. Idaho students have been involved in Alternative
Service Break projects for the past eight years, but this marks the first
international project.

Clearly, the project will impact the children of Cai Cay. But what was the
impact on our students? Senior Matthew Haley was quoted in the
Argonaut: "I just expected 28 people to work hard and serve. I didn't
expect to see them affected and changed right in front of me. The people
that left aren't the same people that came back." I am proud of and humbled
by the dedicated, caring work of our students and their advisers. Thank
you, and welcome home!

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

A special conference February 19-20, "Jazz History and Culture: An
Academic Conference in Honor of Lionel Hampton's 100th Birthday," will
kick off jazz festival festivities. The conference keynote
lecture, "Reading Hamp: Celebrating Seven Decades of Good Vibes," will be
given by Bruce Raeburn, director of the Hogan Jazz Archives at Tulane
University in New Orleans. His speech will be "A Lionel Hampton
Retrospective." Raeburn is a respected expert on jazz, specifically the
New Orleans roots of jazz. The keynote address is at 10:30 a.m. on
Tuesday, February 19, and is free and open to the public. Registration
forms are available at:

www.jazz.uidaho.edu/documents/JAZZ_HISTORY_CONFERENCE.pdf

A deep respect for Dean David Kendrick and wonderful memories of the
University of Idaho motivated Robert C. Greeley, '70 and his wife,
Celeste, to establish and fund the Robert and Celeste Greeley Business and
Economics Scholarship Endowment. "This scholarship began as a payback in
May 1967 while I walked back to campus from a College of Business and
Economics awards luncheon with Dean Kendrick-a check in my pocket that
assured me I would return to Moscow that fall." Greeley was a C.W. Moore
Scholarship recipient his sophomore through senior years. At one point,
his GPA was falling below the required level to renew the scholarship, so
he spoke to Kendrick about his concerns. Kendrick told him "I'm confident
you will find a way to bring up your grades."  Not wanting to let Kendrick
down, Greeley worked hard and was able to finish the semester with the
required GPA.  Greeley went to work for Wells Fargo in San Francisco and
Sacramento, and then formed Greeley Lindsay Consulting Group, a Sacramento
corporate management consulting firm. The Greeleys hope the scholarship
they established will assure other young students that they, too, can earn
their degrees in the College of Business and Economics. To learn more
about giving to the College of Business and Economics, contact Diane Lugar
at (208) 885-7148 or dlugar at uidaho.edu.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3