[Vision2020] 935 False Statements Made Before War

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 17:48:22 PST 2008

Well I guess it's comforting to know the Bush administration was standing
alone in their beliefs on stopping Hussein and his WMD program . . .

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal,
murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a
particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to
miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his
continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction
... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is
real..."
   - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003* *

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority
to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe
that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real
and grave threat to our security."
   - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002* *

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to
develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That
is our bottom line."*
*   - President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We
want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass
destruction program."
   - President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"We must stop Saddam from ever again jeopardizing the stability and security
of his neighbors with weapons of mass destruction."
*   - *Madeline Albright, Feb 1, 1998* *

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times
since 1983."
*   - *Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S.
Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate,
air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to
the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction
programs."
         Letter to President Clinton.
          Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, others, Oct. 9, 1998
* *

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass
destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he
has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
*   - *Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass
destruction and palaces for his cronies."
*   - *Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999* *

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a
threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate
of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e
means of delivering them."
*   - *Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical
weapons throughout his country."
*   *- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002* *

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to
deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in
power."
*   - *Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002* *

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing
weapons of mass destruction."
*   - *Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002* *

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are
confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and
biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to
build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence
reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
*   - *Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002* *

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively
to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the
next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated
the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
*   - *Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002* *

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that
Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons
stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also
given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members
... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will
continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare,
and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
*   - *Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002* *

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam
Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for
the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
*   - *Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

Seeya slipping round town Moscow

GS