[Vision2020] Removing Snow NOT Always Better

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 18:09:58 PST 2008

Kit,

  Thanks for that in depth and informative email on ice and snow on the sidewalk.  I did not know that. I just walked around icy spots on the sidewalks in the grass where I know it cannot be that slick. I think people that shovel should put the snow a foot of further back from the edge of the sidewalk so we can walk next to the sidewalk, and not on it when it is icy.

  Of course Moscow's next trick should be to make sidewalks wide enough so wheelchairs can ride on them. I think wheelchairs riding down the streets of Moscow are dangerous for everybody, but when a sidewalk is to narrow and/or has no up/down ramps to exit and enter them on every intersecting, what else can someone in a wheelchair do but travel on the streets with cars?

  Our sidewalks should be safe and accessible for everyone, but especially for those with difficulty being ambulatory.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan Arnold

Craine Kit <kcraine at verizon.net> wrote:
  Donovan is correct. A mush of snow on packed snow is safer to walk on
than ice. It does more harm than good to try to clear a skiff. His
idea of taking off jujst the soft stuff rather than clearing to the
surface works well---in climates where the ground freezes and the air
temperatures (highs and lows) stay consistently below freezing.

Unfortunately, that's not Moscow.

Here, there is a daily freeze-thaw cycle. Snow often falls on
unfrozen ground or cement. As a result, if snow is thick enough that
you can't see the sidewalk, it only takes a single foot step to form
a near-molecular bond between snow and cement. The packed snow will
turn into dense, slick ice that is nearly impossible to remove and
which will linger for days (last year it was 22) before it melts.

For example, the day after the last snowfall, I walked down a
sidewalk that was cleared to the cement---except for this wandering
line of inch-tall ice pillars. At one end of the property, there was
evidence that someone had tried to remove them, to no avail. They
apparentlly gave up. The amazing thing was that each pillar was
capped by a perfect cat-paw print. One cat walking, that's all it
took to create ice.

If a sidewalk is cleared to the surface so the cement can absorb
light, the little snow that is left will melt and the sidewalk will
dry out, leaving ideal walking conditions. The key is to get the job
done before the snow is packed (i.e. shovel where the drive crosses
the sidewalk before leaving in the morning). The cement needs to be
cleared from edge to edge so residual snow does not melt then
refreeze where it flows across the walk.

In Moscow, creating safe sidewalks is a matter of shoveling as soon
as possible (ideally in the morning), then sanding or de-icing to
provide traction until the ice melts enough to be popped off.

Kit Craine