[Vision2020] Snow on sidewalks .. the good news and the bad news...

Janesta janesta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 18:21:31 PST 2008

You know the old saying... Do you want the bad news, or good news first?

The good news

I want to compliment the City of Moscow and Palouse Clearwater Environmental
Institute in creating the "Snow Patrol". It is fantastic to witness the care
and concern put forth for community members who are unable to clear their
sidewalk due to age, or disability. GOOD JOB!!! If you need assistance, call
882-1444, and ask for Courtney Rush, or click on this link...
http://pcei.org/VolunteerSnow.htm . Regardless if it is snow removal,
supplying food shelters with fresh produce, or caring for our environment,
PCEI is there. Thank you so much!

Now, for the bad news. It always seems to be kind of long, doesn't it?

Attempting to walk and shop downtown is a risky feat if you are healthy.
Imagine if you are disabled, or elderly? A person using a wheelchair can't
even GO downtown this time of year! There are many of us with hidden
disabilities who must use extreme caution as well .

When my knees were replaced eight years ago, I was advised by my orthopedic
surgeon if I were to fall and break my leg, it would probably be in the
middle of my shin, or above my knee, each place, (much more than you
probably want to know about me!) where four screws are embedded in bone. I
could very well lose my leg, or legs, as the case may be. That statement
from him has sobered me to any thoughts of peaceful walks almost anywhere
around town, but especially, in my beloved downtown Moscow.

Last Thursday, for the first time in six weeks, I decided to go downtown
shopping. I was very discouraged by the state of some of the sidewalks.
Moscow had not received snow for several days, yet, many of the businesses
still had an accumulated a mixture of snow, and dangerous ice on the ground
with NO WHERE to walk that was clear. This includes the walkway in front of
the fountain in Friendship Square, which at the time, only had a two foot
pathway.

Many years ago, while working as an advocate at Disability Action Center, I
spoke with Police Chief Weaver regarding our snow removal ordinance. At that
time, he stated the problem lies with enforcement. There are no specifics
that state what time the snow needs to be removed by, nor what part of the
sidewalk the business owner is responsible for, or how wide of a swath
should be shoveled. Also, the policy stated once warned about snow removal,
a business has 24 hours to respond. What is with Moscow and these hour
requirements, such as the noise and dog barking law? If something needs to
be taken care of, it needs to be dealt with ASAP! At one business I spoke
with, I was advised they were only responsible for an area four feet from
the building. What about the other four to six feet on to the curb? Who is
responsible for that? Who is responsible for the area on the corner of Main
and 6th, Main and 5th? Who is responsible sidewalks in front of a vacant
building? If a lawsuit is filed, who pays? Would it be me, the taxpayer?
Because the policy as it is written is so vague?? I guarantee you, if
someone is seriously injured due to the choice of a business or the city to
ignore this problem, someone will be sued.

In the heat of summer, almost six months ago, I addressed the Mayor, and
Moscow City Council about concerns regarding our disabled, and elderly
community members, and the manner in which the snow removal policy was
written and enforced. At that time, I was advised by Mayor Cheney the issue
of changing the ordinance had been in, I believe it was, an employee
committee for the previous 6-8 months. Personally, I am not sure why it
takes so long to change a snow removal policy. Do what I did, Google other
cities in Idaho, see what they are doing. Coeur d' Alene has an excellent
policy stating a time frame for removal of snow, the fine to be issued if
the policy is not followed. Also, if the fine isn't paid, a lien will be
placed on the property owner's taxes.

I recall early last fall when there was discussion of moving Farmer's Market
to Main Street, and closing Main for a few hours Saturday mornings... The
businesses downtown were very much against this idea, as they were concerned
about parking, and losing customers. Where is that same concern for their
customers now?
I hope this ordinance is addressed by the City Council soon. It would be a
shame for someone to be injured.

Please call the Moscow Police Department at 882-5551 with your concerns.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

Janesta Carcich

Below are the basics from both Moscow, and Coeur d' Alene's websites.

>From the City of Moscow website.

http://www.moscow.id.us/Police/Snow%20Removal/Snow%20removal.htm

It shall be the duty of every owner of any land, building, or lot within the
City to remove snow and/or ice from adjacent sidewalks to permit the safe
pedestrian passage upon said sidewalks bordering said property and to abate
the nuisance set forth in this Chapter. This duty applies to natural
snowfall; it does not extend to snow displaced onto sidewalks by City
snowplows after an owner has removed natural snowfall.

Coeur d' Alene

http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/ID/Coeur%20dAlene/index.htm

"Every owner or occupant of any house or other building, or of any vacant
lot or block, and every person having charge of any church, jail or public
building within the municipal limits, shall, during the winter season and
during the time snow continues on the ground, by nine o'clock (9:00) A.M. on
every day after a snowfall, and whenever necessary, clear the sidewalks in
front of such lot or block, from snow and ice, and shall keep them
conveniently free there from during the day, or shall, in case the snow and
ice so congealed that it cannot be removed without injury to the sidewalk,
cause the snow and ice to be strewed with ashes or sand. Every owner or
occupant shall at all times keep such sidewalk clear and free from all
filth, dirt or other obstructions or encumbrances so as to allow citizens to
use the sidewalks in an easy and commodious manner."