[Vision2020] Illegal Immigration: Was Re: Vision2020 Digest, Vol 19, Issue 97

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 15:22:23 PST 2008

Note:  This is a slightly revised version of a message previously sent
to Donovan.

I'm not pro-immigration or anti-immigration, I'm pro-person.
I'm not pro-American or pro-Idahoan, I'm pro-person.  Whether you were
born in Iraq or in Pakistan or in Ecuador or in the USA makes no
difference to me.  Whether you are my family or my friend makes a
difference to me.  While "family" comes first, it does
have a pecking order.  My significant others take precedence over all
other humans, myself included.  I think this is probably true for a
great many people, though not everyone would necessarily state it so explicitly.

What does that have to do with immigration?  Simply this: absolutely
anything that I can do to improve the lot of my family, I will do.
This, of course, assumes that their current living conditions are
intolerable.  I won't hurt others or damage property (insert list of
potential ills here) to guarantee them a premium skiing trip in
Austin, but I will do literally anything to ensure that they have the
necessities (food, clothing, and shelter).  Again, that doesn't mean
filet mignon, Giorgio Armani designer duds, and a home in the
Hamptons.

Many illegal immigrants couldn't provide their families adequate food,
clothing or shelter in their previous situations.  They come here
because it is better here.  If they have children, the need is urgent.
 Childhood doesn't last forever.  I have two daughters whom I
shepherded safely into adulthood.  I would have done anything for
them.  If that had entailed breaking a few laws, of course I would
have unhesitatingly done so.  I would still do anything for them.  For
the record, I am not expecting to have to break any laws to provide
for their necessities.  They are both already more successful than
their father has ever been.

Spend my tax money on illegal immigrants.  Spend your money on illegal
immigrants.  Spend virtually anyone's money in the USA on illegal
immigrants.  It might mean that we get to rent one less DVD from
Hastings this week, or forfeit that bag of Doritos.  Such is the
tragedy of being rich.  I made less than $8,000 last year.  However,
even at that level of (relative) poverty, I am still in the top 13.74%
richest people in the world.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Come one, come all.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

Chas