[Vision2020] Banned From Church

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 23:18:09 PST 2008

Donovan,

Good points.  I can see the value in not taxing
schools and soup kitchens and other charitable works.
Instead of giving money to the community they give a
service instead.

I used to think that churches also provided a service
to the community.  More often lately, though, I see
them preaching hatred towards homosexuals and the
willful ignorance of science and I see them
influencing national political elections.  So giving
them a tax break so they can wield more political
influence or damn some other group to hell in the
media doesn't sit well with me.  If it were the old
days when they preached about looking out for the poor
and down-trodden, I wouldn't have as much of a problem
with it.

However, I don't think our government should be in a
position to give tax breaks to religious institutions
because it should be neutral on the subject.  If they
can prove they are a charitable organization, then
they should be able to qualify for tax relief that
way.

Why do we need churches in the retail center of the
town, anyway?  Shouldn't they be located closer to
their congregations?

Paul

--- Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com>