[Vision2020] Protect Grand Ronde Aquifer

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:49:03 PST 2008

All-

I wonder what the total lbs. of CO2 annually entering the atmosphere
this would amount to for Moscow/Pullman local water use...But it
appears our CO2 emissions from the usual sources are a fact that many
do not want to address substantially, as we promote further fossil
fueled powered development, without the alternative energy
infrastructure in place to lower emissions dramatically.

If assuming CO2 emissions from the usual sources (cars and light
trucks, electric generation, diesel trucks and other transportation,
aviation, etc.) associated with human impacts in our area are at the
national average (about 20 tons annually per person), given a very
rough estimate of population at 46,000 for Moscow/Pullman, our
economic activity is associated with the emission of 920,000 tons of
CO2 into the atmosphere every year.  Our use of hydro and other
variables probably make this figure inaccurate, but even emissions
significantly below this figure are still out of control, given the
threats of climate change to global ecosystems and economic well
being.

Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany, has proposed a limit of 2-3 tons
of CO2 emissions per capita as a reasonable goal.  Consider US CO2
emissions impacts per capita compared to Germany and China:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,503155,00.html

According to figures from the German government, the US emits 20 tons
of carbon dioxide per capita per year while Germany emits 11 tons.
China, in contrast, only emits 3.5 tons per person. Merkel's long-term
goal is for every person on the planet to emit the same level of CO2.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett