[Vision2020] Vision2020 Digest, Vol 19, Issue 92

donald edwards donaledwards at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:43:53 PST 2008

Thanks for this Ted, it does appear that their technology differs from Ovonics.  It is probably best to support a bundle of these new ideas with any less speculative funds for the long term through ETF's like Powershares LUX Nanotech or Powershares Wilderhill Clean Energy.  Either of these group like minded socially responsible start ups for the new millenium.  I did see something about this and also new work being conducted on layered solar panels sheets that will harvest energy from the entire spectrum or several types of light in stacks of collectors vs. just one.  They expect the output efficiency to be closer to 80% or more vs. the current 20% (guessing on my figures and recollection here)

Even Moscow has a new nano-tech company called GoNano that was featured recently in the Daily News.  See them at http://gonano-9.com/index.html

I like Energy Conversion Devices for more than just their solar tech.  I saw the company featured on PBS's New Scientific Frontiers hosted by Alan Alda.  The founder reminds me of a Thomas Edison or Albert Einstein figure.  Let's just keep forward and remember to always keep our minds open as competition like the race for VHS or Beta is what led us now to the race for Blue-Ray or HD DVD.

Don

The following is from Energy Conversion Devices website.

Stan started working in the field of disordered materials in 1955. He is a self-taught genius who defied the conventional thinking, for instance, of his contemporary physicists and proved that amorphous semiconductors can exist with exciting new physical, chemical, and electronic properties. He studied the high-field properties of a large number of these materials and, between 1958 and 1961, discovered and developed the two types of reversible switching phenomena that bear his name and which opened up the way for rewritable CDs and DVDs.Iris graduated with a B.A. in Zoology from Swarthmore College, received an M.S. in Biology from the University of Michigan, and a Ph.D. in Biochemistry from Boston University.Armed with Iris’s formal training and Stan’s genius — working as a collaborative team — Stan and Iris have created breakthroughs in four major areas: energy generation, energy storage, information systems, and atomically engineered (nanotechnology) synthetic materials. Stan's inventions in optical media, digital memory, solar energy, battery technology, and solid hydrogen storage are creating new industries — providing new jobs and feeding back into our educational system to enrich people's lives. Scientists are working in the new fields he has spearheaded, such as his pioneering work in information, on Ovonic phase-change memories and the Ovonic threshold switch.
Stan and Iris have received public recognition not only for their scientific contributions but also for their efforts toward the betterment of society. Stan has been honored as one of Time Magazine's "Heroes for the Planet." Jointly, they have been honored with the American Chemical Society's "Heroes of Chemistry 2000 Award." In 1988, the PBS science program Nova labeled Stan as "Japan's American Genius." In 2001, they were recipients of the Wayne State University “Corporate Citizenship Award.” In 2005, Stan was inducted into the Solar Hall of Fame. In the same year, he was awarded the “2005 Innovation Award for Energy and the Environment” by The Economist for his pioneering work in and the development of the high-powered NiMH battery technology. In 2003, Iris was inducted into the “Academy of Distinguished Alumni” of her alma mater, Boston University.Stan and Iris, as early as in 1960 in their storefront laboratory in Detroit, were planning a systems approach toward generation, transportation, storage, and utilization of hydrogen as an alternative power source. His science and technology of amorphous materials have resulted in the ability to make thin-film, continuous web, multi-junction material devices that can use the entire spectrum of sunlight resulting in the energy necessary to break up water to generate hydrogen. He treats energy as a system.