[Vision2020] Black History Month

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 23:05:52 PST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 7:35 PM, J Ford <privatejf32 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Again, and very loudly this time, I ask why is it we do not have a "Native
> American Month" to celebrate their contribution to this county's development
> and growth?

Answer:  We have apparently had an American Indian Heritage Month
every year since 1994, originally being designated by President George
H. W. Bush in 1990.

National American Indian Heritage Month, 2007
A Proclamation By the President of the United States of America

RSS Feed  White House News

National American Indian Heritage Month is an opportunity to honor the
many contributions of American Indians and Alaska Natives and to
recognize the strong and living traditions of the first people to call
our land home.

American Indians and Alaska Natives continue to shape our Nation by
preserving the heritage of their ancestors and by contributing to the
rich diversity that is our country's strength. Their dedicated efforts
to honor their proud heritage have helped others gain a deeper
understanding of the vibrant and ancient customs of the Native
American community. We also express our gratitude to the American
Indians and Alaska Natives who serve in our Nation's military and work
to extend the blessings of liberty around the world.

My Administration is committed to supporting the American Indian and
Alaska Native cultures. In June, I signed the "Native American Home
Ownership Opportunity Act of 2007," which reauthorizes the Indian
Housing Loan Guarantee Program, guaranteeing loans for home
improvements and expanding home ownership for Native American
families. Working with tribal governments, we will strive for greater
security, healthier lifestyles, better schools, and new economic
opportunities for American Indians and Alaska Natives.

During National American Indian Heritage Month, we underscore our
commitment to working with tribes on a government-to-government basis
and to supporting tribal sovereignty and self-determination. During
this month, I also encourage Federal agencies to continue their work
with tribal governments to ensure sound cooperation. Efforts such as
on-line training programs will improve interagency collaboration in
the Federal Indian Affairs community and help to strengthen
relationships with tribes, building a brighter future for all our
citizens.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of
America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution
and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim November 2007 as
National American Indian Heritage Month. I call upon all Americans to
commemorate this month with appropriate programs and activities.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirty-first day
of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand seven, and of the
Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and
thirty-second.

GEORGE W. BUSH