[Vision2020] Will Moscow support Hawkins sprawl-mall?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 19:37:29 PST 2008

Andreas,

  The property will actually bring in more money than if it was on incorporated land. If it was built on incorporated land the city would have to charge them a tax rate equal to every other comparable business in Moscow. This rate does not cover the costs for the new utilities. However, since it is on unincorporated land, and they are not a Moscow business, we can charge them more. The employees will also make more per hour because the minimum wage is higher in Washington than in Idaho. I don't see how anyone loses here.

  Best,

  Donovan

Andreas Schou <ophite at gmail.com> wrote:
  On Jan 13, 2008 5:10 PM, Matt Decker wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> I understand that big business does not bring as much as lets say a mom and
> pop store, to our community. It does bring 10-15% of taxes into out
> community. Money that we can use for our community. Along with the jobs,
> some managerial some lower end, but these businesses are providing jobs.

Matt --

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but the proposed development doesn't
even do that. It's supposed to be built on the unincorporated land
just over the state line into Washington.

-- ACS

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com