[Vision2020] Will Moscow support Hawkins sprawl-mall?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 22:15:18 PST 2008

On 1/13/08, mark r. seman <baukunst at moscow.com> wrote:

>   i do not think that a "green" Hawkins project will solve anything; it
> only has the opportunity to address a set of pressing issues.

While you present many worthwhile ideas, I don't quite agree with this
response...though I think I understand what you mean.

A "Green" Hawkins project could serve as an example of responsible
environmentally oriented economic development to the entire Inland Empire,
and make a measurable impact, however small, on energy and resource
conservation.  No, of course it would not save the whole damn planet.  But
it would be in part a solution (as it adds to the problem), just as every
hybrid vehicle on the Palouse is in part a solution (as it adds to the
problem).

Your statement seems dismissive of the "incrementalism" that should be
applauded for any environmentally friendly effort, however small, whether it
be someone putting one lonely solar panel on their roof, or walking to work
just one day a week, rather than driving their 4 wheel drive monster truck,
or buying a few bucks of Green energy credits to support wind power, or even
the few (here comes the hate mail) "Green" Wal-Marts (yes, they exist!).

We do need a coordinated national (even global) investment model and
strategy, combining public and private sectors, to address the energy and
climate change crisis, but every little effort makes a difference.

Ted Moffett