[Vision2020] Will Moscow support Hawkins sprawl-mall?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Jan 12 17:04:12 PST 2008

The economic Libertarians will try to convince all of us of three things:  One, that only out-of-touch liberals would oppose the mall; two, that Moscow is woefully underserved by big stores selling cheap stuff; and three, that there is an economic/social war going on between Pullman and Moscow, and if we don't "win" by expanding in any way possible, we'll be forever consigned to a poverty-stricken, hillbilly'ed existence.

I would welcome retail as a response to solid, forward-thinking growth, but when growth is primarily retail, it isn't the kind of permanent, sustainable, viable growth that Moscow needs.

Funny, but not really, is that these same Libertarians who want metastasizing growth of any type are so often opposed to facilities improvement for public schools and municipal services.  I would find that interesting if it weren't for the fact that quality of life for people who aren't among their group and associates is always less important in their eyes than more opportunities to eat up land and plop retail outlets on every available inch.  I suppose that "the market" provides a better altar than human services and public infrastructure.

Keely