[Vision2020] UI's Logo and Slogan Debacle

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 1 14:06:46 PST 2008

Greetings:

I've just finished a response to the Yardley report on UI's graduate education, and I've decided to cut out the first part on wasting money on other consultants.  I still wanted to share my frustrations about UI logos and slogans.

The University of Idaho has spent several million dollars on outside consultants that have given very questionable advice and products.

The new UI logo is far inferior to the old one, and the new slogans that have already been withdrawn.  The old logo was an ingenious design done by the UI's own Leo Ames 35 years ago. I'm so dense that it took me years to see the "Ui"s in the starburst circle.

The forward slant of the "of" in the new logo made one faculty member to think of bending into a harsh wind, something that a presumably forward looking institution would not want to indicate.

When the new Coke came out, presumably from equally brilliant PR experts, the company was forced to bring back Classic Coke.  For similar reasons I demand that the classic logo of Leo Ames be reinstated.

The new slogans "No Fences," "Open Spaces," and "Open Minds" have flopped, and instead of a refund for such incompetence, the UI will pay $900,000 each year to advertise the equally problematic "A Legacy of Leading," presumably into a stiff wind.

I have a notepad that the Oregon State University library sent me as a token for my ungenerous gift to them.  The bottom is "Open Minds," "Open Doors."  Did they hire the same firm?

It reminds of the early days of Transcendental Meditation when people were told that they had to keep their mantras secret.  It turned out that they all got the same one!

Nick Gier, OSU Beaver, 1962-66