[Vision2020] William F Buckley Jr.

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 13:16:04 PST 2008

Sunil et. al.

In Chomsky's film "Manufacturing Consent," after showing a court case
document "United States Of America vs. Noam Chomsky" dealing with Chomsky's
arrest for protest over the Vietnam War at the Pentagon ("front mall,"
"refused to move," the court document indicates), which is followed by copy
from the New York Times, June 27, 1973, shown listing Chomsky on a White
House "enemies list," at 51:12 into the film, there is footage from
Buckley's "Firing Line" from 1969:

Firing Line, 1969

Chomsky, in reference to the Vietnam War:

Sometimes I lose my temper.  Maybe not tonight.

Buckley:

Maybe not tonight.  Because if you would, I'd smash you in the G*d d**ned
face.

This exchange elicited low keyed laughter from both of them.

Buckley's words were clear.  He threatened to smash Chomsky in the face,
even if this was not meant literally.  No one said Buckley said "I'm gonna
whack you," which, according my understanding of this slang phrase, means
kill someone.

Ted Moffett