[Vision2020] Helicopter Article - Eagle, ID

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 29 11:00:51 PST 2008

On Friday 29 February 2008 08:49, Tim Rigsby wrote:
> Tim Rigsby <tim.rigsby at hotmail.com> has sent you the following story:
> http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/310035.html

I suppose if one has not been around, and is not used to, helicopters, they
can be loud, scary, and intimidating to the point of fear. They do create
quite a commotion, and without a doubt the neighbors know when one arrives
or leaves a helipad nearby. From personal experience I know this because my
parents' home is a long block and a half from the Boundary County Community
Hospital, with its helipad on the side of the building away from the house.

On the other hand, it is comforting to know that if a patient arrives at the
hospital in a condition that the hospital staff and the local doctors are
not able to handle, a medical evacuation helicopter is available to take
the patient to better-equipped and more highly-staffed hospitals in
Spokane. It's not a daily, and often not even a weekly event, but local
residents are very aware of local helicopter activity, not because they
find it fearful or annoying, but because they wonder who is aboard it this
time.

If the local hospital has a helipad, it might be a good idea to have some
pre-announced practice landings and take-offs as staff and community
personnel drills, not to mention awareness raising for local residents.

Ken