[Vision2020] Alternate voting systems (was Re: Narcissist Nader May Run Attention)

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 21:57:34 PST 2008

Anything along those lines is better than what we have, but I prefer the
"instant" runoff election type.  We would have our election as normal,
except that you choose your candidates in order of preference.  If you
want McCain, but could live with Obama but not Hilary, then you would
vote for McCain as the first candidate, and Obama as your second choice
and then stop there.

When they tally the votes, the first candidate to have a majority wins.
If it's, say, McCain at 25%, Obama at 35%, and Clinton at 40%, you would
throw out McCain's votes as the candidate with the smallest number of
votes, and redistribute the secondary votes for everyone who voted for
McCain.  So in this case your vote for Obama would be counted.  This
continues until some candidate reaches 50%.  That way, you have a much
bigger voice over what happens, and third party candidates can actually
have some sway in the election since you're not "throwing your vote
away".  Eventually, we could actually break out of the two-party choke
hold that is currently in place.

Unfortunately, almost everyone involved in politics is heavily vested in
the two-party system as it currently stands, so I don't know how we
could actually make this come to pass.  Perhaps we could start at the
lowest level?  Just as a thought experiment, does anyone know how we
would go about passing the necessary changes in law or procedure or
whatever to change the City elections in Moscow over to this kind of system?

Paul