[Vision2020] Lawmakers seek to redraw Tenn. border to access water

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 13:21:46 PST 2008

Considering our water debate, I thought this article might be of
interest to some here:

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/stories/2008/02/06/tenn_0206.html

A couple of state lawmakers want to annex a piece of Tennessee to get
more water for Georgia.

State Sen. David Shafer (R-Duluth) and state Rep. Harry Geisinger
(R-Roswell) on Wednesday introduced companion resolutions to stake a
claim on a one-mile stretch of disputed land that they say rightfully
belongs to Georgia.

If Georgia were to take that land, the state's new border would
stretch beyond the south bank of the Tennessee River, one of the
largest tributaries in the Southeast.

Georgia was shortchanged of the land because of a "flawed survey
conducted in 1818 and never accepted by the state of Georgia," Shafer
said.

"A misplaced survey marker is just that and nothing more," he said. "A
state boundary can only be changed by the legislatures of the states,
with the consent of Congress. It cannot be changed by a mathematician
with a faulty compass or a skittish surveying party afraid of the
Indians."

Nobody need be alarmed that such resolutions might be a prelude to a
second, much smaller, War Between the States.

They merely call for the creation of two panels to investigate
Georgia's possible legal claims to land on the other side of the
Tennessee and North Carolina borders.