[Vision2020] O'Neal says it all

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Wed Feb 20 19:01:04 PST 2008

Yeah, he says when you don't have an argument based on
facts, resort to name calling.

While it may be cute to call people "cry-babies" and
"aging hippies," it does little to address the
concerns of folks like myself who see our council
giving away our First Amendment right of free speech
to giving away our tax-base by letting a predatory
developer (one whose stated intention is too leach off
of Moscow's business while being built in another
state) be guaranteed 1% of Moscow's current water use,
and sewer services, forever.  All the while, Moscow
cannot appeal anything Hawkins applies for (in terms
of governmental permits) beyond public safety and
nuisance issues.

But if you look at the election returns from last
Fall, you'll see the councilman with the most votes
was the one who is on record opposing development of
the Corridor.  Fortunately, Tom Lamar voted against
the Hawkins agreement and the intrusive noise
ordinance.

GMA-endorsed councilman supporters should realize the
pendulum swings.  One controversy too much and the
voters will do their job and elect new council members
who they hope will best represent Moscow.

And since Tom did receive the most votes, it leads me
too believe that if there are other candidates who the
voters perceive to be aligned with Tom's values, I
imagine the GMA councilmen's days are numbered.

Despite the intimidation those who call names may
inflict, I think it's important to discuss issues
rationally, even if opinions may be based on
misinformation.  Afterall, how else are we supposed to
understand issues and hold our elected officials
accountable?  I hope O'Neal isn't suggesting to just
let our elected officials do whatever they want.

But that's just this concerned human's opinion...

Garrett

2007 Council Election:
http://www.latah.id.us/elections/2007City/SUMMARY.HTM

City Council (Four Year) Vote for 3