[Vision2020] Support for veterans

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Feb 16 07:05:50 PST 2008

Exactly, Matt.

In WW1 it was called "shell shock".  In WW2 it was called "battle fatigue".

As cases began to increase during Vietnam, it was diagnosed as Post-
Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

>From "Mental Health today" at:

http://www.mental-health-today.com/ptsd/dsm.htm

"The essential feature of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder is the development
of characteristic symptoms following exposure to an extreme traumatic
stressor involving direct personal experience of an event that involves
actual or threatened death or serious injury, or other threat to one's
physical integrity; or witnessing an event that involves death, injury, or
a threat to the physical integrity of another person; or learning about
unexpected or violent death, serious harm, or threat of death or injury
experienced by a family member or other close associate (Criterion A1).
The person's response to the event must involve intense fear,
helplessness, or horror (or in children, the response must involve
disorganized or agitated behavior) (Criterion A2). The characteristic
symptoms resulting from the exposure to the extreme trauma include
persistent reexperiencing of the traumatic event (Criterion B), persistent
avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma and numbing of general
responsiveness (Criterion C), and persistent symptoms of increased arousal
(Criterion D). The full symptom picture must be present for more than 1
month (Criterion E), and the disturbance must cause clinically significant
distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas
of functioning (Criterion F)."

PTSD is not limited to the battlefield.  It has been diagnosed in many
cases right here in the Nifty Fifty (USA).

> Dave,
>
> What?
>
> Are you really stating that if " I believe it is mostly the guilt of
their
> actions that causes PTSD"? If so how do you justify the fine members of
the>  armed forces in the battles held within the last 300 years. Should I
remin> d you of ww2 or even the revolutionary war?

> Even if you are stating that this war is unjust, are you suggesting that
wa> rriors shouldn't receive care? WTF over.

> Please clarify the downright hurtful things you have stated.
>
> Pissing me off at this point

Matt