[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for February 15, 2008

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Feb 15 05:57:03 PST 2008

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for February 15, 2008 -

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
February 15, 2008

Dear Friends,

This week at the annual Larry Branen Ag Summit in Boise, I was able to
meet with representatives of Idaho agriculture to discuss the future of
agriculture in the state. Agriculture is vital to Idaho: almost 70,000
residents earn their living directly from agriculture, and Idaho farmers
brought in an estimated $5.6 billion in cash receipts in 2007 - that's a
25 percent increase over 2006. And it's a diverse industry; in addition to
livestock, approximately 140 different crops are grown in the state.

But, agriculture is in transition. Farmers are dealing with issues such as
economic pressures from a global economy, advances in technology, climate
change, fuel costs and the growing demand for alternative fuels, and
escalating demands for Idaho's water resources. The College of
Agricultural and Life Sciences, along with its Extension programs, are
addressing many of these issues - and it's all part of our land-grant
mission of linking teaching, research and outreach to the critical needs
of the agricultural community.

Land-grant universities were chartered beginning in the 1860s to conduct
research that directly helped the nation's agricultural industry, then
mostly family farms. Abraham Lincoln called them "people's universities."
Now, land-grant universities are in transition as they adapt traditional
agricultural and Extension programs into a broader framework. At the
University of Idaho, we are bringing the expertise of the entire
University together in interdisciplinary efforts to address issues
important to agriculture, and to all of Idaho. One of the goals of our
Strategic Action Plan calls for strengthening our partnerships with public
and private sector groups to further extend our academic, research and
outreach endeavors to the people of the state. Representatives from the
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences and Extension are helping in
that effort to build a seamless, interconnected system of people, programs
and facilities across the state to lead the way in responding to a rapidly
changing world.

At the summit, five Governor's Awards for Excellence in Agriculture were
presented, and two of the recipients represent the University of Idaho.
Mary Lee Wood, retired Extension educator, was honored for her work to
expand Idaho's 4-H program, and Professor Esmaeil Fallahi received the
technical innovation award for promoting new crops and water conservation
efforts.

Looking ahead to next week, I hope you have jazz on your calendar as we
host the 41st annual University of Idaho Lionel Hampton International Jazz
Festival. And congratulations to internationally renowned bassist and
festival artistic director, John Clayton, who received a Grammy Award last
Sunday for his instrumental arrangement on Queen Latifah's "Trav'lin'
Light" recording. You can personally congratulate John - and enjoy a slice
of Hamp's birthday cake - if you're in the Moscow area on Tuesday evening,
Feb. 19, as John hosts a special "Community Kick-off" to the festival. It
begins at 5:30 p.m. at the Palouse Mall, 1550 W. Pullman Rd. You can
access several festival features and sites via our home page, which is
especially rich these days thanks to all that is happening at our vibrant
University, as well as our recent Web redesign: www.uidaho.edu. I hope to
see many of you next week!

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

The Idaho Business Review has honored five alumnae as 2008 Idaho Women of
the Year.

Recipients include:

* Judy Aitken '72, answer center manager, PERSI

* Katherine Hansen '90, executive director, Community Partnerships of Idaho

* Paula Landholm Kluksdal '97, partner, Hawley Troxell Ennis & Hawley

* Lorene Oates '85, event director-sponsor services, St. Luke's Women's
FitnessCelebration

* Lisa Steele '86, director, Neighborhood Housing Services

Idaho students and emeriti faculty earned some of the nation's hottest
awards in fire ecology from the Association for Fire Ecology. Leon
Neuenschwander, professor emeritus of forest resources, received the
Association for Fire Ecology Harold Biswell Lifetime Achievement Award in
Fire Ecology and Management. Neuenschwander worked across the forests,
woodlands and grasslands of Idaho and the West to provide provocative and
innovative ideas for addressing challenging fire ecology and management
issues. Josh Switzer received the Outstanding Undergraduate Student
Nationwide Award. Switzer, from Pocatello, will graduate with a major in
forest resources ecosystem management and a minor in fire ecology,
management and technology. Chris Powell, from Ellensburg, Wash., received
the Outstanding Graduate Student Nationwide Award. He currently is pursing
a master's degree, focused on using LIDAR to characterize fuels in the
mixed conifer forests and diverse topography of Idaho.

The University of Idaho's 55th annual Utility Executive Course will take
place June 9-26 in Moscow. It is the country's only industry-specific
educational course with a focus on developing utility leaders. The course
will look at challenges, opportunities and the general business
environment, and provides training for executives to enhance their
industry knowledge, leadership abilities and professional effectiveness.
For more information or to register, visit www.uiuec.org or call (208) 885-
6265.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3