[Vision2020] Sewer Agreement

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Feb 14 12:13:43 PST 2008

It is pretty much understood that mediation between private individuals is
confidential.  It should be.

Should this same confidentiality be maintained for mediation between a
private company and elected city officials?  It is muy opinion that
mediation involving elected public officials should be recorded and made
available to the constituency of those elected officials.

Another thing:  Sweeping this agreement, and the procedure that created
the agreement, under the "Executive Session" umbrella merely because of a
perceived "competition" between the two communities of Moscow and Pullman
amounts to nothing more than another skeleton in the city council's
closet.  Permitting this type of chicanery opens the flood gates of
secrecy every time an elected official can draw a link between our two
city halls, candy-coating it with the all too popular explanation that it
was for the good of Moscow.

BULL!

> Saundra
> Perhaps some of the Mediators that are on vision2020 could respond, but
it is my
understanding that most mediation is confidential. I believe public
business should be
public. Because mediation is usually confidential, the problem is in
agreeing to mediation
in the first place.

Roger