[Vision2020] Sewer Agreement

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Wed Feb 13 13:30:25 PST 2008

In answer to Sam's question, committee meetings are open meetings and must abide by the open meeting law, but here's the kicker--the Republicans continue to hold their caucuses in private and inasmuch as they are the supermajority in the leg, they often take their votes there and when an issue comes to the committee it's a done deal. That's particularly true when a vote might be close or contentious.   That practice has been questioned, but no questioner has prevailed.  I thought the open meeting law covered all public entities and no discussion could be held in secret unless it met some pretty stringent guidelines.  School boards may discuss negotiations in executive session, so maybe the Hawkins issue falls within that limitation.

Sue H.