[Vision2020] google earth

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 00:20:13 PST 2008

If you want to see a really close photographed city, look at Las Vegas. You can see people at the pool, and see shadows of the palm trees, you can even make out the make and model of some cars. I could clearly see "Swift" written on the side of tractor's trailers.

  Just imagine what the government can see? I bet on a clear day they could tell if a coin on the ground is heads or tails.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Dave <tiedye at turbonet.com> wrote:
  It's nothing as nefarious as that.

The low res images such as Pullman are the public domain satellite
images, which are available for the whole planet. The high res images,
such as Moscow, are actually high altitude aircraft photographs. Google
Earth puts them both together, with a preference to the high res when
available. Pullman, simply has not been photographed (in the public
domain at least).

You will notice that Oregon is recently all hi res now, I assume that
the state commissioned the photographs.

Have any of you explored the user data overlays available? You an get
everything from Bigfoot sightings to current weather data. Attached
are two of my favorite .klm's. One is cool (or hot actually) and the
other is damned scary. Just click them and say "open with GoogleEarth".

Dave

Steven Basoa wrote:
> Maybe it's because of the nuclear reactor at WSU. Homeland security
> and all.
>

> On Feb 8, 2008, at 8:16 PM, Paul Rumelhart wrote:
>
> You know, that is odd. I zoomed in on Moscow, got centered on the
> Kibbie Dome just as a landmark, and found I could zoom in to the second
> tick mark from the top. I then navigated my way to the Pullman highway
> and followed it to Pullman. Right before you get to Pullman, you have
> to zoom out two or three levels, and it's still colored funky. Just
> move past Pullman a bit, and you're back to the second-highest zoom
> level. Strange.
>
> Is there some kind of sensitive national security site in Pullman
> somewhere? It sure looks like it was done specifically to block out
> Pullman. I suppose it's possible that two sweeps of the satellite
> missed that area for geometry reasons or something.
>
> Paul
>
> g. crabtree wrote:
>
>> Can anybody out there tell me why Google earth offers such high
>> resolution in Moscow and such poor resolution in Pullman? In Moscow
>> you can identify cars in driveways and in Pullman you can't make out
>> what's a building vs. barn yard. Any explanation?

>> --

>> List services made available by First Step Internet,
>> http://www.fsr.net
>> mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

> List services made available by First Step Internet,
> http://www.fsr.net
> mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

> List services made available by First Step Internet,
> http://www.fsr.net
> mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

--
Windows, OSX, or Linux is the same choice as:
McDonalds, Burger King, or a (real) Co-Op.

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com