[Vision2020] Hawkins Mall and Moscow

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 05:22:39 PST 2008

Paul wrote:

> If it's close enough to need to connect to our water mains,
> won't this have the offsetting effect of bringing more Washington state
> dollars to our mall, Walmart, fast food joints, etc?  If they're already
> over here, won't at least a few people get their groceries at Winco
> instead of driving back to Pullman and across the town to get to a
> grocery store?
>
> Won't this bring people from out of the area, some of whom will shop
> here in Moscow?

Won't many in Moscow and Pullman now shop at the proposed Hawkins mall,
reducing their disposable income left over to shop in Moscow?  Some in
Moscow will skip the Palouse Mall, for example, to shop across the state
line, while some from Pullman will not drive on to the Palouse Mall, after
stopping at Hawkins, when before they would go to the Palouse Mall.  We then
must assume a growth in average income and/or population in Moscow/Pullman
to offset this impact, if the Hawkins development is not to lower consumer
spending in Moscow.  This is a competitive development aimed at profit.
They'd be "happy" to put some Moscow businesses under to increase their
profits, correct?

How far from out of the area the Hawkins development could draw consumers is
an interesting question, but Lewiston and Spokane are still going to offer
more than Moscow/Pullman, even with the Hawkins development.

We can speculate on these effects, but a comprehensive study of whether or
not the proposed Hawkins mall will result in more or less consumer spending
in Moscow is indicated.  Has such a study been done?

Ted Moffett